Skip to main content

Reply to "Hang Your Chicken Out to Dry"

I had stated in a few posts above that I couldn't taste the Jack Daniels in the brine. Which probably means save the Jack for quaffing like MaxQue suggests. Which actually means why even add bourbon? Which means why not stay with Smokin's Holiday Brine which produces a better result in my opinion.

I tried the mayo technique and didn't get crispy skin from the Cookshack. But I believe I was still cooking poultry at 250* when I tried it. So I'll try the mayo at 300* next time. My only concern is I'm trying to eat healthier and adding mayo doesn't seem to line up with that goal.

Maybe the two stage cook is still the best way to get crispier skin and enjoy some smoke flavoring. Poultry takes on smoke very well, so smoke it for a short period then finish on the grill. But that defeats one of the purposes of the Cookshack, simplicity. Brings us back to the mayo technique.

Smokin. How do you apply the mayo? Whip it up first? Brush? Hands?

We often smoke skinless breast meat and enjoy it that way or a good salad with smoked chicken. But the wings and legs have got to have crispy skin. Could be a plan. Skinless breast meat. Mayo on the wings and legs.
Last edited by pags