Skip to main content

Reply to "Heart Healthy BBQ"

Make a few simple changes, and you'll be fine.

I've always reduced or eliminated salt in the rubs and sauce I make and buy. The brining worries me so I've cut back some on the salt content in the brine. I don't add salt to anything except the occasional popcorn. Hardly ever eat fries anymore. Switched to sweet potatoes, salads(balsamic vinegar & olive oil, Caesar dressing made from olive oil) and beans(smoked) for sides. Use olive oil or grape seed oil (even better) for sauteing, panini type sandwiches, or searing instead of butter.

Smoke a lot of very low salt almonds(reduces LDL and blood pressure, raises HDL), salmon, chicken (discard the skin and you won't have to worry about how crisp it is), turkey, pork loin (trimmed), pork tenderloin, beans. Very, very lean London broil for jerky. As a matter of fact, since we want as little fat as possible for jerky, I buy select. When smoking beef or pork, trim fat off the sides. When I smoke sausage, I smoke them to higher temp than recommended to render some of the fat. Whenever a recipe calls for salt, use less than recommended.

Daily I take krill or salmon oil capsules (omega raises HDL, lowers LDL) and niacin (lowers cholesterol). Use a lot of garlic in things and take garlic supplements(supposed to be healthy. If nothing else, it keeps the vampires away). I'm sure your doctor has put you on cholesterol lowering medication. Like I said, you'll be fine. And you can still enjoy these great smokers.
Last edited by pags