Skip to main content

Reply to "Help!! family expectations"

Well went to see Wally last night. Best found was an 8lb. shoulder w/ the bone. No wood chunks but mesquite and hickory. Same for Lowes and Depot. We will have a Cabelas east of town in Nov. so I went the Longhorn barbeque and guys let me into there wood pile and I got enough cherry and apple to hold me over. They get their wood from fruit trees out of the Yakima valley in WA. Got some 2" branches, followed Toms directions again, and Walla.

Went in at 6pm and was done at 1030 am today. Pulled out, put on the sprits, and tossed in the hot box. To the store for cheap slaw and buns and took it to the office. Gone in 10 min. It was just incredible, bark was dark and a little chewy, inside was fall apart, kind of like when you overcook a turkey in an oven bag. Was pretty proud of myself and I could not have pulled it off without you guys. Thanks a bunch.

Just a thought, if the bone gives you a false reading of a higher temp than it should, can the bone actually be a conduit of sorts to pass heat to the interior?