Skip to main content

Reply to "Home Made Burgers"

I've never smoked burgers but, based upon Mallard's pic, I'm going to have to give it a try (be interested in a little more detail about the guacalamole dressing also). I like mine best on a very hot grill to medium with a little char crust.

One thing that frequently do with burgers however, is buy a single piece of meat (chuck, round, etc) and cut it up in 2" pieces. I then get the smoke going hard and put the pieces (in a pan) in the smoker, unplug the unit, and smoke for about 30 minutes. Remove the meat, grind it, form patties, and quick-grill them. Comes out the way that I like them with some nice smoke in the flavor.

Warkior (or anyone else) - What's the deal with the oats (or potatos) in the meat mix? I've cooked and eaten of lots of burgers over the years and never heard of this. Is it a flavor enhancer or filler/extender kind of thingy? Just curious.

Speaking of burgers, I was in Vegas about 3 weeks ago and had lunch at one of the restaurants in my hotel (Wynn). Had a burger that was 1/2 lb of gound top round stuffed with pulled pork and minced jalapenos. Outstanding (and pricey-$28). I'm going to try to duplicate it soon with some leftover pulled pork that I have in the freezer.