Skip to main content

Reply to "how would you plan this cook for a block party?"

RG, I've done a few gatherings of similar or larger size. That looks like a lot of meat.
If you relegate the kids to the chicken for figuring sake, that's 1 pound of raw meat per person and 1/3 rack of ribs.

I did a church banquet once for 75 people. I did six butts (about 45 pounds) and two small briskets (about 22 pounds. The briskets were all gone and they ate two of the butts and the rest went home as leftovers. I guess the key point is how much does your smoker hold. I looked it up on the cookshack website and it looks like if you want to do that much meat with the 24 pound capacity, you're looking at least three cooks.
I Would do the pork butt first, refrigerate in accordance with FS guidelines, then the brisket(s). Instead of refrigerating the brisket(s) I'd foil, wrap in towels and put the briskets in a preheated cooler and they'll stay hot for 8 hours while you cook the ribs in the smoker, which incidentally I'd cut down to St. Louis Style to make them easier to cut, serve and eat.

While you're doing the ribs, I'd pull the pork and warm it back up in an oven mixing in some finishing sauce. That will be a busy time, if you're grilling chicken too.

If you're doing boneless skinless chicken breast, you could cut them into about 2 ounce strips, marinade them overnight and affix them on skewers. They would grill fast and the kid's might enjoy them more, if it's ok for them to have 'pointy' objects. Just my thoughts.

When I'm 'hot seating' a smoker I do a couple of things to help me change over faster. Where ever there will be greasy foil in the smoker, I always put three of four layers down before I begin any cooking. This allows me to just pull the top layer off between cooks and I'm ready to go. It's a good time to dump the ashes if you need to in a metal coffee can. Attached is a story board I did of my first big cook (FEC 100). Good luck.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 6172990507_cook