Skip to main content

Reply to "I am new to pellet grills, which is the best one?"

Please don't get me wrong. Posting recipes and/procedures are very helpful to many and a photo or two of the results can give people the confidence they need. Posting an epic failure is not only humorous but instructive. It keeps people from making a similar mistake or overthinking something simple.

In 2012, I acquired the Amerique. My first butt was a massive failure.  I have stated before that I belong to many forums.  Most of them emphasize the need for a continuous flow of smoke, thin blue when possible. Same procedure I used with my offset stick burner. Long story short I ignored the instructions from CS regarding the amount of wood to use. 3 ounces? Great.  I will add 3 oz when the smoke dies out.  I did that 4 times till the meat hit 195. Smelled great. But it was coated with what can best be described as creosote. Not edible. Major difference between an electric and a wood fired smoker.  Second butt, also in 2012, came out perfect by following instructions. And sage advice from CS forum members.  Here is my 2d butt and that is the end of my bragging.  Ribs, brisket, butts, all great.

IMG_0256

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0256