Skip to main content

Reply to "Incredible Brisket Recipe"

I'm smoking my first brisket using this recipe also. The brisket is currently resting in the marinade.

I went to 2 markets with one not carrying briskets and the second not carrying anything larger than a four pounder. In addition, Super Walmart was out of stock, and Costco has stopped carrying it altogether (health prone Californians prefer tri tip since it's leaner than the brisket). Finally, at my 5th stop (a local butcher) I was able to pick up a 6.5 lb flat, partially trimmed. It was the largest they had.

Since it's small, I plan on getting up at 6:00 am, draining the marinade, putting on the rub, and placing it in my Elite. When it reaches 170*, I'll foil, put in the finishing sauce(since it was trimmed, I thought the sauce would help keep it moist) and place it back in the smoker. At 195* I'll wrap it in a towel, and place it in a cooler for 2-3 hours.

I've read so much about the brisket in the forum that I'm really looking to this experience. I've invited some close friends over for the "experiment". They've volunteered to be guinea pigs and can roll with the punch. Hopefully, I won't have to throw hot dogs on the grill. Cool