Reply to "Incredible Brisket Recipe"

Like Pags says,it is what you are trying to accomplish.

We have a couple of goals with the forum.

If the goal is for you to cook "something" and it pleases you and your family,that is a good thing.

On the other hand,if the goal is to cook a particular product, that experienced diners/cooks recognize as a quality example of that type cooking-we attempt to get the cook there,also.

Many folks,hope both goals can be met.

The first thing that new comp cooks are told is"go to judging school,so you know what the product tastes like and how it should be prepared".

I might be getting ready to enter the local grilling contest ,down at the VFW in central California for their local traditional BBQ.

It is the city of Santa Maria.

I fix grilled corn on the cob for the neighborhood,every Saturday and they all rave about it.

That Saturday ,I proudly take my usual entry down to the VFW hall and set it on the display table.

Man,that is one great looking platter of fresh grilled sweet corn!

I look at the other entries and darned if they don't all enter Santa Maria BBQ?

The cut of meat called for in an authentic Santa Maria Barbecue is a 3-inch thick cut of boneless top sirloin weighing 3 to 4 pounds. If that is a bit more meat than you need, there is another cut of sirloin that works well, the tri-tip. The tri-tip has become the most popular cut for family barbecues in the region. It weighs only about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, a far better size for a small family. See also: History of the tri-tip.

The traditional combination of side dishes consists of pinquito beans, macaroni and cheese, tossed green salad, toasted sweet French bread, salsa, coffee, and a simple dessert. The pinquito bean, a small pink bean that retains its firm texture even after long slow cooking, is unique to the Santa Maria Valley, as is the red oak.

Hmmm. Red Face