Skip to main content

Reply to "Introduce Yourself -- Time for a CS RollCall"

My name is Andy.

My cooking background is mostly grilling. From indirect charcoal days with a Weber in the 1980s to my propane Weber today.

I became intrigued with slow cooking BBQ after seeing a BBQ competition marathon on The Food Network last summer/fall. That lead me to try to get make pulled pork using my propane grill.

I tried this for a couple months. In that time, I got a method down, doing brining, developing rubs, etc. and with a lot of help from my father-in-law (who is a master of slow cooking on the regular Weber kettle).

The meat was great, but never quite pullable. I just couldn't give it enough time to get that tender. Also, I couldn't really add a lot of smoke flavor, because I could never get wood to burn reliably in the grill. Add to that burning up a lot of propane over the course of hours of slow grilling. It was also hard to get the grill to go as low as I wanted it too (only one burner at minimum setting would get me to 225 on a good day). I figured there had to be an easier solution.

The Smokette is a godsend. Got my Smokette 008 less than a month ago and have had nothing but success.