Skip to main content

Reply to "Introduce Yourself -- Time for a CS RollCall"

Not sure how I managed to not find this forum sooner...better late than never I guess. Looks like a great place with a lot of folks willing to share what they know. Lovin' it.

As for me, been around and in the restaurant biz more than once. Made my share of mistakes & then some. May do so again Smiler

I have a little experience with BBQ, mostly through a competition team I cook with...but have been involved with some pretty large affairs. A few years ago we cooked for a local Project Graduation fundraiser & had over 500 butts and hams on the pits at one time. All presold. At the last BBQ on the River festival we did over 6000 lbs of meat in three days...mostly butts, ribs & chickens. We did a few shoulders and a whole hog, but just for the competition end of it as this festival is basically a charity event. We did place second in whole hog and third in ribs out of about 80 competitors. All cooked by burning hickory and shoveling coals into the pits....relating this not to brag as I am a minor player, hardly the pitmaster.

The above experiences are why I am here.

I am tired.

Of shoveling coals.

All night.

While watching our competitors "set it and forget it" and go to the house to sleep. Hello.

Cookshack, Traeger, Southern Pride, Ole Hickory and I am sure others. All looks good to me at this point. There is a limit to how long I can go without sleep while shoveling coals and drinking beer...apparently about 5 days Cool

I am at a point in life where I am sick to death of corporate America & looking to go out on my own again. Scary but true. The food biz has always attracted me & I love to Q...don't mind working, but at my age tending a pit the old fashioned way is just not an option. I am looking hard at the options I see here.

My long-winded way of introducing myself. I hope to be able to contribute as much as I have already learned here. Nice bunch!