Skip to main content

Reply to "Introduce Yourself -- Time for a CS RollCall"

Hello from Delaware!

I have been retired for a week (YEA) and my wife and I are in the process of buying a B&B in Vermont (hope to close on Nov. 1).

I have a lot of experience cooking on ceramic grills (BGE & Primo) and use a BBQ Guru to control temps for lo-n-slo cooks.

That said, I want to step up my game for the B&B and make smoked trout a signature appetizer and start smoking sausage, etc.

I am hoping someone can advise me if there are special considerations about what cooker you need to get to comply with commercial safety/health requirements. I am really interested in the SM160, but I am not sure I can afford it right after buying the Inn.

I also have a general question about cooking times. I bought the Gettin Smokin, CS cookbook and they give many times in terms of times per pound, when starting with something like 4 ea, 18 pound roasts. If you are cooking 60 pounds of meat at 180, 600 minites sounds about right, but what happens when you are just cooking just one? I cannot believe an hour and 40 minutes gets it.