Skip to main content

Reply to "Introduce Yourself -- Time for a CS RollCall"

Howdy folks. I just found this forum recently but have been debating an electric smoker for about a year now. Last year just after Thanksgiving I had a visit with my dermatologist and we were talking about turkeys. I said I normally fry mine, as I did that year. He mentioned that he had recently acquired a Smokin Tex and smoked his. He went on to praise how easy and effortless it was to get great results. It got me to thinking about smoking again. I hadn't done it for years and it was my method of choice for turkeys but I just grew weary of the constant care and feeding of the old Brinkman charcoal smoker.

I've been researching the electrics for the past year and was looking at either the Smokin Tex or Cookshack. The lower price of the ST almost had me but it seems as though most comments favor the CS even if it is a little more spendy. Well, I just pulled the trigger on an SM025 yesterday. Ordered a seafood grill and some other wood. Can't wait for it to show up so I can give it a shot. Been reading through a lot of the information here and not really sure what I'm going to try first. I do predict that this thing is going to get a lot of use and will be well worth the outlay. I was concerned a bit about the size but in retrospect I really don't see myself doing huge volumes of meat in the thing. Time will tell as they say.