Skip to main content

Reply to "Introduce Yourself -- Time for a CS RollCall"

Welcome to all the new members. I hope you enjoy your smokers as much as I have over the years. It might be a good time to mention a couple of things about living with these smokers.

I don't know if it holds true with the newer 09 models or not, but do know the 025 and the 045 models have a temp. probe that is about 1" long. It is located on the back wall and protrudes into the smoker. Take care to keep any meat clear of this probe. It is there to measure the temperatures inside the smoker, and if it gets buried inside a brisket (don't ask me how I know), it will be measuring the temp of the meat, and not the smoker.

These units have a preset 30 minute start up cycle. The first 30 minutes they are on, they will run at max. temperature. This is supposed to get the smoker temps up, and get the smoke rolling. Every time you shut the unit down and then restart it, It will go into this start up mode.

Finally there may be a "Big Bang" with these units. I never had it with my old 09, but when I got my 045 just before Thanksgiving, the first thing I smoked in it was the Turkey. I started it Early in the morning, and came in for my first cup of coffee. About 45 minutes into the smoke there was a large explosion, or "Big Bang". Every dog in the neighborhood started barking. My wife came out wanting to know what I had done. I was trying to get out to the smoker with visions of seeing my new smoker blown apart, and covered in turkey pieces parts. The smoker looked fine, and when I opened the door the turkey was fine. I continued the smoke and had a couple of smaller bangs. The next day I put a square on my smoker inside and out, and came way with a new appreciation for the quality of the cook shack smokers. There are a number of theories about what causes the "Big Bang". As a Firefighter, I know it was a "Smoke explosion", or "Back draft". I may have caused this by loading the wood box, believe me when I say that there are times when more isn't better, and in these smokers, it really holds true with the amount of wood you put in them.