Skip to main content

Reply to "Introducing myself"

So I have a custom built offset smoker, looks like a choo choo train. It was built by a friend of mine that had a steel fab shop in Central America. It is really heavy duty with all stainless grill racks. I've had to replace the wood service board on the front and the wood insulated handles, but it's about 16 years old.  Then a Lynx 27 gas grill, very well built but for the ceramic grids that require frequent replacement due to poor quality SS used in direct contact with all the flame and drippings over time. Then the old Weber 22 Kettle which is by far the best charcoal grill for the money. Have to replace a few wear parts every so often but they are cheap and easy to find. But that is truly a proven design for daily grilling. I'd like to smoke more often but the offset is a major undertaking requiring days of prep, etc... reason I bought the electric smoker. I think the electric is kinda like cheating. The Masterbuilt was always a struggle to get the wood to burn. I often had to stick a lighter and help it out. I'm really hoping the SM045 is not like that, i.e. the wood lights and burns without additional assist.