Skip to main content

Reply to "Kimchi - Mr.T's Recipe"

Tom - Funny, when I asked you how long kept your Kimchi refrigerated I had a suspicion that your reply would be in years rather than weeks or months. The taste must be very pungent. Sounds like it would be nice partnered with Limburger.

I checked my basic Kimchi recipe's ingredient list and it's almost identical to yours. The minor differences are: Yours includes carrots and miso soy bean paste and mine doesn't. Mine includes white onion and Buchu (Asian chives), and yours doesn't. You use McCormicks Light chile powder and I use Korean Red Pepper Powder (Tongren brand-coarse). As a substitute for the powder I sometimes use Korean Hot Chile Pepper Paste/Gochujang (Sunchang/CJ Haechandle brands or homemade). Otherwise, everything else is a match.

All of the brands mentioned are top notch. If I need fine Korean Red Pepper Powder I use Singsong or simply run the coarse powder in a spice grinder. My guess is that you probably can't find them in Trout Creek, but they're all available online from Amazon and others. You might also be able to find them on your journey to Spokane. BTW, enjoy the concert. I've seen BB a few times but it's been quite awhile. He's got to be close to 90 years old. I guess the thrill is still here.

When I get a chance, I'll post my Kakdugi (Daikon Radish Kimchee) recipe as well as the recipe for homemade Gochujang.