Skip to main content

Reply to "LABOR DAY 2022"

OK, I did the bacon-wrapped jalapeno cream cheese-stuffed poppers I got at Sam's. I added a moderate sprinkle of smoked paprika. I put them in at 300F (the max in my AQ) with about 1 1/2 oz of hickory (2 small chunks) and checked them at 45 minutes. The high temp meant lots of early smoke. Hard to tell without feeling if the bacon was done due to the paprika browning. They looked great, but by feel, the bacon wasn't done (but still not really crispy) until about 1:20 in. They were really good but as an experiment I learned this:

1. Make them myself to control jalapeno heat (Sam's are very hot, too hot for some).

2. Make a better stuffing - maybe cream cheese and cheddar mixed.

3. Use very thin bacon to wrap, and make sure each jalapeno half is sitting on the end of the bacon piece that wraps it - no toothpicks.

4. Slightly less smoked paprika.

5. Slightly less smoke - it was too much for some. Maybe 1 oz. But hickory is a good choice.

Consumption (a crowd that generally likes spicy food) ranged from less than one popper to six poppers. All in all I consider the experiment a qualified success. I'll definitely be doing them again. Quite an enjoyable experience.