Skip to main content

Reply to "lachsschinken recipes?"

Well guys if you take the food safty course pork is to be heated to 160 for at least 20 sec. to be safe of any bacteria. And to be safe from trichina it should be frozen for 20+ days .

Thats why you us nitrates and salts to kill the bacteria's

Since this is a rub you don't inject the loins the nitrates penitrate and do the work. If it were a liquid brine then yes you would inject. I have a peameal or Canadian bacon recipy that you use a liquid brine and inject the loins with it.

Temps and humiditys are exact in recipies but humidities and temps can be done by ear so to speak.
As long as they're within 5 degrees or so your OK.
Your average basement runs around 65 - 70 degrees this time of year so that temp is alright.
Humidity is what kind or fruit celler you have. If it's a damp one like mine it runs around 80%-90% add a dehumidifier and down it goes.

I have a older Italian friend that makes the best salamis. He keep humidity up for his salamis while they are drying he hangs them over his sump pump hole in his basement.Sounds wierd but it works.

So don't be afraid to try things, recipies can be changed to worked for you to make a great product

Just ask people like what we are doing right now.