Skip to main content

Reply to "Lessons for new users"

I've been reading these forums while I wait for my 009 to get delivered. Hopefully next week. The folks at Cookshack have been great to talk with. I guess I'm 30th in line for the new smokette and they'll get through 24 orders this week.

I need some honest advice - My son is having a graduation party in 3 weeks and everyone wants me to do some smoking for the party. If I get my smoker next week that will give me two weeks prior to the party to practice and prepare. The guest list is at 175 so I'm guessing 65% showup, 4.5 oz per serving (mostly adults and high school grads) and a 50% cook down on the meat. That means with a little rounding I'm looking at 50-60 lbs of brisket or three to four smokes? I'd have to cook and refrigerate (something I haven't done before) but I will have access to ovens and hot plates to heat the food prior to feeding time. I'm not looking to feed folks just give them a nice little sandwich - actually I want to give folks the best darn bbq they have ever had!

Is this just a bad idea to try and pull this off? I've read several places in the forums to never try something new for guests but I also read that smokettes are almost fool proof.

Always love a good challenge and my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

My wife keeps wanting to buy me a smoking book while I wait for my smoker but I tell her why? I got more than I can read just in these forums.

Sorry for the long post - Thanks for any advice.