Skip to main content

Reply to "Let's all Create a Forum Chicken Rub"

On to the next step. Now that we�ve talked ingredients, let�s talk details. The purpose of the thread is to talk about ingredients and how to build your own rub, if there isn�t enough participation, then the thread will just go away, so please feel free to hop in and comment (hint, hint)

I'll try to keep it going, but it's up to use to build it.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Read through the post and let�s discuss by categories and see what we want in the rub.

Purpose of this is for everyone to learn a little and experiment and report back your experiences. If you REALLY don�t like a particular ingredient, why not try it once and report back what you didn�t like.

Whole vs. Powders

My personal preference is to use other than powders. I think it rubs, the size of the granule will make a difference and in rubs I think powders just don�t add the oomph that large size, such as granules or grind you own

Fresh vs. Ground

This has to do with the age of the spice. When I grind my own, I know when I made the rub. Go to your supermarket and buy these spices and you�ll have no idea how long they�ve been in there.

Blends

I'd suggest we stay away from blends like "lemmon pepper" and possibly Old Bay. There is such inconsistency in these rubs that it's hard to get us all with the same one (and many times they already have salt/sugar in them and will throw out balance off)

Questions from above:

� Do we plan to adjust salt, or sweet, with a glaze -after cooking? First we cook with just the rub, no sauces, to develop a standalone rub
� Do we cook very hot, where sugar in the rub will burn? Since this is CS forum, we�ll be safe as we�re cooking at 250 or below. For those of us that cook at higher temps, we�ll have to adjust ourselves
� Do we use salt water injected fowl, where we must reduce the salt in the rub? No solution added chicken if possible, no brines, etc, during testing

Method.

I think GeiyserQ is spot on with the 3 step approach. GREAT idea.

You can buy them wherever you want, local or internet for testing, just let us know which you did

Category 1:
Salt and sugar seem to be the base for just about any rub, sauce, brine etc. So I might throw in 1 TBS of kosher or sea salt and 1 TBS of turbinado or brown sugar.

FOR YOUR COMMENTS, PLEASE ADDRESS WHAT YOU DO AND DON�T LIKE IN THIS AS WELL AS RECOMMENED QUANTITY TO START

� Salt
� No Salt
� Granulated Brown Sugar
� Paprika

Category 2:

FOR YOUR COMMENTS, PLEASE ADDRESS WHAT YOU DO AND DON�T LIKE IN THIS AS WELL AS RECOMMENED QUANTITY TO START

Next would come the spices that most of us use darn near everyday, whether we know it or not. I would start out with 1 tsp. each of these. Since it sounds like we are looking for a course rub I would buy seeds so they could be cracked in the pepper mill to the desired consistency. These would be ingredients like black pepper corns, white pepper corns, coriander, & mustard seed. This category would also include the granulated garlic and dehydrated mince onion.

� Garlic Powder or Salt or Granulated
� Onion Powder or Salt or Granulated
� Mustard Powder (Coleman�s)
� Red/Black/White Pepper

Category 3:

Lastly. The exotic herbs to give it that individual taste. Your rosemary, marjoram, basil, tarragon, thyme, and oregano. Grated lemon peel, grated orange peel, & coconut are included here as well. With these I would start out with 1/2 tsp of ea.

� Rosemary
� Thyme
� Oregano
� Marjoram
� Old Bay
� Lemon Pepper
� Lemon Peel (grated or dehydrated)
� Horseradish powder
� Bells Seasoning
� Cumin
� Sage
� Cinnamon