Skip to main content

Reply to "looking for a good bacon brine recipe."

I just simply do not spend as much time on the new forum as I used to, and happened to be looking at it today. 

I have settled on the EQ method for curing bacon.  This is a method of making the brine that is done by the weight of the meat.  The great part about this method is that once everything comes to equalibrum  the meat will not get saltier during the cure.  You can add spices to the basic cure to add to the flavor, Just remember that you have to compensate if what you add has salt, or sugar in it.  You can adjust for the amount of sugar and salt in the calculator.  We didn't like the 2% salt level that is the starting point in the calculator and thought it didn't have enough salt.  We went to 2.5% and it was too salty.  2.25% is good for us.  The calculator is here:    http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html .  You can do both a wet or dry brine, just remember that you have to add the weight of the water to the meat weight. 

I cure for 14 days, and have gone as long as 21 days.  We really like the basic cure with powdered Black Rifle Coffee Company "Just Black" coffee added to the cure. I have been working on this since 2015 and this is what works for us.