Skip to main content

Reply to "Meat prices in your area"

quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Thanks Smokin', I did catch it though I don't have my notification on. I sent a PM, but will follow up here.

Yes, Peculiar meat market will work with the comp cooks, you just have to buy full cases of special order items. When buying cases of Creekstones you tend to have 3 comp briskets and 2 that are not what I would want to use for comps. I throw those in my freezer and when someone wants brisket, they sure cook well for that.

You should have seen the reaction when I catered for a group of 200 at the Royal this year and they got to eat prime briskets Smiler

I'll bet they got a treat. I was fortunate to spend the day with the Hawg with a Heart, Operation BBQ Relief folks at the Royal on Friday this year. Taking a Ribs/Pork and surprise Brisket class with Sweet Swine o Mine, Boars Night Out, Natural Born Grillas and The Shed. Really really a good day.

Nonetheless I say this to say that was the first time I got to try a Wagyu brisket and compare side by side with a restaurant depot brisket. Holy Cow!!. I've read this fall many people saying "don't cook the Wagyus", its not needed but I'll tell you what if the people you are competing with are cooking Wagyu's and cooking them well there is no comparison. I was blown away by the flavor, tenderness etc. Mark Lambert isn't a bad cook either.

Thanks again for the response Cal. Hopefully we'll catch up with each other at a contest. I'm going to call Charlie tomorrow and see if he can get me a last minute Standing rib roast.

Thanks Smokin' for the heads up. This started with ultimately my first post and wasn't sure if I should PM or start in the thread. Found you article/class on the Prime101. Good info. Thanks