Skip to main content

Reply to "Meat slicer recommendation"

In my 30 year run at the restaurant I've used a Berkel (forget which) and a Globe 12". Both were gravity feed and performed well. I still have the Globe.

Cheese creates a LOT of friction and wears on the motor. My suggestion would be to stay with a trusted brand, Hobart, Berkel (Vulcan) or Globe. The Chinese knock-off will probably last a year or 2.

Slicers are sold with 8, 10, 12, + inch blades. In choosing one you need to determine the largest item you're apt to be slicing. Will it fit on the slide arm tray? Will the throw of the arm (front to back movement) allow enough room for a full pass? We slice a lot of boneless Prosciutto...some slices are over 10"...a 8" or 10" knife would be too small.

I'd put a LOT of weight on service. Whatever you decide on, be sure there's someone in the area that can supply parts and service the machine---just in case.

Look up www.bigtray.com I buy a lot of equipment/smallwares from them. Give them a call after perusing the web site. The staff are knowledgeable and will guide your decision.

Good luck.