Skip to main content

Reply to "My 1st prime rib,so good!"

MODERATOR WARNING:

Okay, first off, everyone threadjacked when this thread about a successful cook and went down a new thread.

EVERYONE, when you change the original thread and go a new direction, please post a new thread.

WHY?

Because you're information will get lost and it doesn't do a service to the original . I guarantee 100% that no one will see a food safety discussion buried in another thread that has a title like this one.

NOTHING WRONG with the subject of food safety, just start a new thread.

Cal. Sorry you're SO GOOD thread went this direction. I saw it before but didn't moderate it then, I should have.

If I could move this to a new thread, I would, but I can't.

SOOOOOOOOOO I've closed it. Want to talk FS? Start a new thread.

Chef, obviously with that background you can quote food safety because of your background so appreciate the info. I don't think we adequately accounted in the discussions for the sear at the end.

Me? I'm just a bbq guy. I've taken the Safe Serve courses and know all about the USDA. We can quote USDA/FSIS until the cows come home (to be eaten) but I think we also are working a lot of different methods and technique the USDA/FSIS don't really cover well. Smoking, cooking with smoke, etc.

Me, I think we're splitting hair if we're talking 4 hours to 5 1/2 hours. No FSIS won't come off their standards, but I know for a fact, that we all survived a lot of food eating long before the internet and the over quoting off the USGOV. I do try to quote authoritative sources so people can make their own choice. Not sure if the quote above was from me, it wasn't referenced, but I stand by PR 101.

I've cooked for 1,000's with this PR recipe and I know this recipe has been cooked by many and haven't had ONE question about this in the 10 + years.

For me, it's a non-issue if you use common sense, quality meat and good food safety techniques. None of our homes would pass a restaurant Health Dept inspection, but we don't have too.

Fo you, if it's an issue, go with different temps or if you're worried about a 4 hour window, adjust the recipe.

Cold Smoking has also been around a long time, and we've all survived that food too.

Lots of methods, so just educate yourself and feel free to adjust to your personal needs.

Russ/Moderator
Last edited by Former Member