Skip to main content

Reply to "My brisket comes out dry"

Jay is right.  I probably do a lot more trimming than most, I try to get all of the hard fat off because it doesn't render out doing the low slow method.  I trim the thin parts of the flat off.  I do my briskets with the fat side up so that as the fat renders the brisket gets basted by it.  I keep the whole brisket together.  I have looked for just points with the plan of cooking them and then doing burnt ends but can't find them locally.  There are ton of videos on the internet about trimming Brisket, but most of them are geared for Competition, and you really don't need to trim to this point for back yard BBQ.  Use the KISS system, jeep notes of each cook, and have fun.  I am famous for looking at how I can make it better rather then going back to notes, and seeing what worked and what didn't.  Keep things as simple as you can when you start, and add on as you go.  I think all of us have eaten a lot of mistakes over the years, and for the most part it is better than what you will get at Famous Whatever.  Just cook and have fun learning.