Skip to main content

Reply to "New Amérique owner, large brisket question"

I know that I am too late with an answer to your question, but here goes.  I am using SMO-66.  When I do Brisket or pork shoulders I do 2 to 4 of them at time.  I plan on doing the trimming and rub the day before the smoke starts.  I plan on a 20 to 24 hour smoke, and several hours in a warm cooler.  I make my own rubs from well published recipes.  I like the Wild Willies rub for brisket, and Southern Succor for pork.  I always start with cold meat and a cold smoker.  The brisket goes in fat side up, and I set the temp for 200-225 degrees.  I want to get as much smoke as I can on the brisket before the brisket hits 140 degrees. internal temp.  I usually have to fill the wood box twice.  once I do the refill, I bump the smoker temp to 275 degrees.  When I am ready to go to sleep, I turn the smoker temp down to 220 degrees. I hate getting an alarm at 3 am saying the brisket is done.  When I get up I check the internal temp of brisket, and turn the smoker temp up to 275-300 degrees depending on what I see.  I set the high alarm on remote read thermometer for 195 degrees.  when it goes off I do a quick probe of the brisket with a toothpick or skewer.  When the skewer going through the brisket feels like it is going through warm butter the brisket is done.  I have seen briskets finish at different temps in the 190 to 210 degree range.  When you hit the right temps the brisket will actually wobble when you move it.  pull the ones that are done.  I use the disposable pans and foil to put the brisket in and then it goes into the warm cooler.  for 2 to 6 hours.   

Attachments

Images (3)
  • finished brisket 1
  • finished brisket 2
  • finished brisket