Skip to main content

New SM020 owner

Howdy everyone!

Just picked this little sucker up from Cabela's yesterday. Very fortunate I live close to one of the brick and mortar stores, since they are sold out online.

Had an odd incident yesterday evening when I went to season it. The unit ramped right up to 200, but when i went to check on the results after 4 hours, the wood was only very barely charred on the bottom. Is this to be expected?

I feel very fortunate that I have been able to educate myself reading the terrific posts on this forum. I even went to my closest grocery store (Albertson's) and went over to speak with the butcher about the type and cut of brisket I want, armed with the knowlege gained on the large amount of posts here concerning this subject (as well as being a little concerned since many folks have expressed diffficulties getting good packer cut briskets).

It apepars I may be in luck regarding this. I asked for a packer cut brisket that was of at least select quality. He looked at me oddly and asked why I was so exact. I explained to him that this forum was quite expert at such things and that this was the strong recommendation. He smiled and said, "Fella, those folks must not live around here. This is Texas, all the beef you get around here is Choice!" He then proceeded to lead me over to a large mound of Choice packer cut briskets. I was proud to be a Texan!

Rookie Smoker, Slotshot
Original Post