Skip to main content

Reply to "New to the Cookshack community"

You will have fun with your new smoker.  There are some things that are different with the SM066. 

These units are very tight, and wood friendly.  I have smoked 4 packer briskets with 6 oz of wood.  Just remember that what ever you are cooking will only take smoke up to 140 degrees of internal temperature, after this the smoke just starts to make creosote, and the meat will have a bitter flavor.  Use Mesquite wood with caution.  This wood is great but a little goes a long way in these smokers.  There is a very fine line between good and bitter with it. 

They smoke on the moist side, so if you are doing things like jerkey, or summer sausage that you want on the dry side, you will have to open the door every so often to dump moisture. 

These units have a pre programed "Start up" cycle.  They run at max for 20 or 30 minutes when you first start them.  This is to get the smoke rolling sooner.  This might take your smoker over the temp that you set the smoker for.  This is normal.   

These smokers are subject to "The big Boom" when they are new, or after they are cleaned back to "like new".  This Boom is caused by what Firefighters call a "Back draft". or smoke explosion.  My first smoke was the Thanks Giving Turkey.  I loaded the bird and wood in the smoker, and fired up the smoker.  About 20 minutes into the smoke There was a Big Boom.  My Wife ran out an asked: What the heck was that?  I ran out to the patio expecting to see a round smoker where my 066 had been and turkey pieces parts on the inside.  All of the dogs in the neighborhood were going nuts.  The smoker was fine as well as well as the turkey. 

When you look into the smoker at the back wall you will see a probe sticking out.  This is what keeps the temperature in the smoke at the set temp.  Keep this probe clean, and make sure that it doesn't get stuck into whatever you are smoking.  This can really mess up your smoke.

Keep all of this in mind when you use your new toy, and enjoy.