Skip to main content

Reply to "Offset smoker questions..."

Where I live there is an abundance of maple, cherry, apple, walnut and oak which is one that I like to blend with some of the others for some depth.
Lynnae, these are all great woods to smoke with. For a Butt, you could use any of these woods for smoking. I usually get a fire going and let it burn to coals, then plce my chunks on for smoking as needed. Sometimes I lose my fire and have to use my chimney starter to make more coals. It's a back and forth process, heat, add soaked wood for smoke and maybe more heat. The wood chunks will burn and also provide heat. It's a hard battle, that's why I only use my log burner for beans and veggies so I really don;t have to control the temp that close. I use my Smokin-Tex for my butts and briskets. I tried my off-set for a brisket once and it started to rain, I was inexperience then and didn't know about the platue(sp?), Ended up taking the brisket off at 140 degrees and sliced it up. Not bad, but not as good as I can make now in my Smokin Tex......besides....I need my sleep!!!

take pictures......I'll be smoking a 12lb brisket this weekend, we can post our pictures for other to see...!!

dan