Skip to main content

Reply to "Offset smoker questions..."

Hey Guys THANKS SOOOO MUCH!! Such great advice!! I'll check out all the links you've provided and let you know of my findings. I thought I'd try the first go round with a smallish butt...it's kinda hard to screw those things up OR some rib slabs...although a mess of beans would be cheaper...but then who's gonna eat all those beans...wooooweeee. ;-B I use a 'polder' thermometer in my CS and it's worked out great, especially with it's temp alarm. So I'll mess with the potato idea. It's smart thinkin'. You know the worst case senareo(sp) is that I find the NB too persnikity and just use it as a plain ol' charcoal bbq grill rather than use my gas grill which is great and easy but doesn't get me the heat I need to really sear a steak or fish. I did notice the 'hole' that goes from the fire box to the cooking/smoking area was somewhat large..maybe too large. The fire box seems too much for the small cooking area anyway. Maybe a piece of perforated steel plate to cover some of it up. There's a welding shop near by and the always have scrap pieces around for cheap. I'll consult those web sites and come up with something.
Question....
where does the creosote come from....is it naturally occuring in wood? I always think of it comming from telephone poles or railroad ties and I'd never think of using those for a bbq.
Anyway thanks for all the help. I knew I could count on you!!!!!!!!
peace and stuff
lynnae