Skip to main content

Reply to "Penzeys spices for Rubs!"

Hey RogerNE!!

I would stay away from Omaha and others like it. They are NOT prime..like you said....otherwise it would be splattered over everything! The USDA is very strict about those things.....so, those who have prime usually advertise the heck out of it.

I have won their steaks in various sales contests and beleive me, they are NOT that good. I can get a better steak from my local butcher. Plus, like you say....priced outrageously! I just did a pricing for one of my recipe boards and all I remember is $17/lb. for NY strip and $26/lb. for filets. That is simply too much for non-prime meat. Also, that does NOT include shipping!!

As you know, prime is near impossible to get for us retail guys....all the best stuff goes overseas and to restaurants...dosen't leave us much to pick from. I usually have to ask and then, more times than not, am told...forget it!

I know the bigger cities can get it....I usually buy in Chicago, but it is pretty rare I do that.

The reason steaks taste so good at the steakhouses is because they cook them at 1700�!! They use what is called a Salamander. It is heated by some type of ceramic unit and is really the only true way to sear meat.

Good Luck....let us know what you find!

Stogie