Skip to main content

Reply to "PG1000 heat box side-wall issue"

I finally got this bugger taken care of. Thankfully we got some unseasonably warm weather here and I could get outside a few times to deal with it, plus the fact that when I first tried the install, my pellet chute snapped right off as it turned out to be rotted as well and I had to order/wait for that to get here first...

Anyway, I've included a picture of the completed project.

Here's a few tips if you have to do it yourself:

1-VERY SHARP HIGH QUALITY drill bit(s) are REQUIRED!! Drilling thru that stuff is HARD and I broke 2 bits before completing with the 3rd dull when done.

2-I needed to get a 90 degree angled chuck attachment for my drill as I could not fit drill bit + drill gun into the small area at proper angles to drill holes and secure the screws.

3-Make sure you install the chute side wall halves FIRST. If you do the back and front walls first like I did, you wont be able to insert the chute wall parts as the flame bar mounts will get in the way and you will need to subject them to some bending:-)

4-Make sure when installing the back wall that it is high enough to clear the ash pan underneath. Mine is a little tight. The same for the side walls, but its less of an issue as the width of the box is wider than the tray itself.

5-the pellet chute can be removed w/o taking the entire hopper apart. Just remove the two screws in the hopper holding the chute, and while lifting/pulling on the chute turn on the grill so the auger spins. This helps get it unhooked from the auger (do the same in reverse to install the new part.)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • GrillDone2
Last edited by grills365