Skip to main content

Reply to "PICS added at end. Smoked Almond Recipe"

Well. I smoked 18 lbs of almonds, and they were the best batch yet. Hickory smoked garlic. Same recipe, but more garlic and a little more salt. Mixed the almonds with garlic, worcestershire and salt in the bowl as usual, then sprinkled more garlic on the almonds sitting in pans before they went into the smoker. Once smoked, I sprayed them with garlic juice then lightly sprinkled more garlic on them. Let them air dry for an hour. Delicious.

I sent six 2 lb packages back to the folks in Chicago. Can't trust those little critters though. While my brother's vacuum sealed package inside the Post Office Express Package sat on his front porch, some delicate vapors must have escaped. The squirrels left nothing. Those little critters ripped open that box and feasted on the hickory smoked garlic almonds...left a message, "please include walnuts next time." Also, got the whole box of See's Candy for my mom.

Funny thing. I can't replace the almonds for my brother. My mom told me after he asked her not to mention it so I wouldn't be disappointed. Think I'll have some fun with him by calling and asking how the almonds tasted. Betcha he'll say "great". That's when I'll spring into action and ask if he could tell the flavor since it's a new recipe. Big Grin I have so much fun with him. Cool

But I'll send him some more next month. Guess I'll double vacuum seal and put it in a ziplock. He feeds the birds in his backyard, and those squirrels have gotten big and fat sharing with the birds.