Skip to main content

Reply to "PICS - Bacon Cure Recipe & First Attempt!"

Thanks all! Bill, the SRF's Kurobuta bellies worked out to be ~7.50 a #, I know I probably could have gotten them much cheaper (if I could get the local Asian market to not cut them first) locally. They are 9.5 and 9#'s each skin off. They are flash frozen and were hard as a rock when I got them. They are a very nice blend of fat to lean. I have been wanting to try their bellies.

Bill, I really appreciate your ratios! I was leaning toward your original post for my method, but now you made it a lot easier. I'm like you I want a more sweeter than salty bacon. I keep pink salt, and kosher salt.

I do have a few questions, I think I will use light as opposed to dark brown sugar, is this the right thought? What do you use? How long in the fridge with the cure, turning daily? Once the cure length us attained, do you soak in cold water to rinse to cut down saltiness and how long? From salmon and sausage I know I need for the bacon to dry and form pellicle before smoking. Do you get enough smoke from the FEC without additional smoke (ie, do I need to use my A-Maze-N tube to add additional smoke? I DO NOT want to ruin it with too much smoke. I once ruined a GREAT batch of homemade andouille by over smoking in my SM066, lol. Thanks!