Skip to main content

Reply to "PICS Canadian Bacon w/Recipe"

OK, finished the Canadian Bacon. My wife LOVES this! We both think its some of the best we have ever had. I do have a question though. The bacon was in the cure for 13 days, I rinsed with cold water and then soaked in ice water for about an hour. I then patted dry and rubbed with maple syrup and allowed to dry to form pelicle overnight. Then I lightly dusted with Butcher's Honey Rub (I might delete the rub next time). Smoked with 2 oz wood half and half pecan/apple. Smoked at 220* and pulled each piece as it hit 140*, temp coasted to about 144* after pulling. The bacon was VERY moist, but a little saltier than I would like, but not unpleasent and my wife thinks its true to form for canadian bacon. Would Soaking longer remove a little more salt and not affect the cure? As you said, I allowed it to "set" the moisture overnight in the 'fridge before slicing (less a a couple of "samples"...). I vac packed portions and ended up with about 6 packs less, samples and breakfast this AM.

Just out of the cure after 13 days.

Smoked and ready for slicing after overnight rest in 'fridge.

All Sliced.

Up close and personal.....

Thanks TN Q for a great recipe, very easy and very tasty... if you can stand the wait Wink
Last edited by mike4258