Skip to main content

Reply to "Pics-Smoked Salmon from Go to Show"

TN Q,
I am thrilled that you are enjoying your salmon.

quote:
Originally posted by TN Q:
Be careful holding any foods in the danger zone between 40˚ and 140˚ for extended timeframes, as this provides bacteria prime opportunity to multiply. The process of freezing fish does serve to kill parasites. However, freezing doesn’t kill bacteria; it only slows growth or causes hibernation. Returning the fish to room temperature provides the environment for bacteria to begin to grow. Nitrites/nitrates should be added with the salt in the brine to kill bacteria if planning on drying at room temperature for extended timeframe. Otherwise keep fish refrigerated well below 40˚ during an extended drying period. JMHO.

I take it you are referring to yourself when you speak of food police. You are correct on the basic temperature safety guidelines for most foods. Here though, we are discussing properly curing fish for preservation by brining at a specific salinity then smoking to a minimum temperature for a specific amount of time.

Idaho Mike,
I will try to eliminate some of the criticism and confusion as to why the above recipe is used and is so popular.

As Paul Harvey would say “Now for the rest of the story.”

As some of you on this and other forums know. I live in a relatively remote and isolated part of the country. Here where some have to truck their water in from nearby springs we have no cell service, electricity is a necessity for most, a periodic pleasure for some and a dream for a few. Most have access to freezers and refrigeration while some get there electricity only from portable generators or solar panels. They normally charge banks of batteries or directly feed appliances such as a clothes washer or vacuum. The refrigeration for those without electricity normally comes from propane refrigerators with extremely limited freezer space and slow recovery rates.

As one who likes to share smoked salmon, it did not take long after moving here 25 years ago to realize I had a new challenge. That was to come up with a recipe that would not only preserve the salmon, but also consistently taste good throughout. After much testing, the result is the above recipe.

Due to the remoteness and low income for many, there are ones here who have never experienced a fresh salmon dinner or who’s only experience with salmon is the cured and smoked type. The fact is that many foods that need to be frozen or will not keep for an extended amount of time in a refrigerator can be useless.

I do not alter the recipe when smoking salmon for others even for those who have freezers as it is so often given away as gifts, especially during the holidays. The chance of someone who does not have a freezer receiving it thinking it is cured would be too great and spoilage could occur.

I do hope you understand why the smoking temperatures, time, salinity and pH measurements of all my brine's whether they are for curing or pickling are kept and this clears things up as to possible overkill.

It’s not that other types of salmon are not good, of course they are. There are many ways to prepare salmon and if you have a favorite recipe and preservation is or is not a concern, I say use it.

Bottom line is, when someone knocks on my door and asks me to smoke some salmon, they know what they are going to get.

Tom