Skip to main content

Reply to "Pics-Smoked Salmon from Go to Show"

Q4lunch, Unlike many dry brines, this recipe was developed for 100% saturation resulting in a product with a known salinity and pH level making a more shelf stable product. This product is suited more for a snack type salmon than a main dish.

Whole fillets can easily be done using this method, but it is my personal preference to cut the fillets into serving sizes as it would be rare in my case that a whole fillet would be required.

After being smoked the salmon is vacuum sealed and refrigerated for up to three months and at times, I will freeze it for up to six months. If longer storage is desired, the salmon should be pressure canned. When canning, the same brine technique is used, but a different smoking procedure is used do to the effects canning has on the fish. Although it is cured, to avoid confusion here on the forum, I rather not discuss storing the salmon at room temperature for a length of time.

Hope your questions have been answered. If I can be of further assistance, please ask. Will be looking forward to your results.

Tom