Skip to main content

Pneumatic Casters for FEC100

I'm thinking about modifying one of my FE100s with pneumatic casters. Since the base of the casters will be larger than the originals on the FE, I'd have to fabricate a plate to bolt to the the bottom of the FE with additonal holes drilled on the outside to match the larger base of the casters.

My question is what size caster to go with? I know the larger the caster the easier it would be to move, but would 8" make enough difference in mobility to make it worth while? Would 10" or 12" make it too top heavy? The cost per caster, if I get brakes on all four casters, is $25.00, $35.00, and $38.00 respectivly per caster. One other option is going with heavier metal in the fabricated base plate and angling it to give it wider stance if I went with the 10" or 12". I don't think that would be necessary with the 8". Any comments or suggestions; am I all wet.

I couldn't find the thread, but I remember Donna or someone from Cookshack running a thread on a competion base, but I think they were talking in the $300-500 range.
Original Post