Skip to main content

Reply to "Pork Steaks"

That sounds like some good Southern eatin' there - reminds me of my days in Alabama.

Up here in St. Louis, BBQ pork steaks and ribs on the grill are king. While there are country style ribs and center cut pork steaks, most often they seem to be a Boston Butt cut into "steaks". I think the only reason they are cut 1/2" is because most people don't want to slow cook them - just get the pork done, sauce, and eat. The problem is they aren't "fork tender" like the butt, ribs, and brisket we do.

The best pork steaks I have had were cooked a short while over wood coals (mainly for the smoke flavor), then put into a crock pot with sauce (beer added) at "low" heat for several hours until tender. Seems kind of like cheatin' to me.

That's why I thought (possibly) the CS might work work well. It holds in the moisture and can operate at a controlled low heat (if that is what it takes). Saucing can come at the end, like ribs, so it doesn't burn. Brush every hour with bacon grease? Put a bacn strip on top of each one to baste it?

Maybe you are right - these kind of cuts weren't made for the CS, but I thought I would ask. Surely someone has gone down this path before (which may be why there are no recipes posted - that I can find).

Nimmy in St. Louie