Skip to main content

Reply to "Pork Steaks"

Finally had a chance to take on pork steaks again. The advice for 1/2" steaks on this forum was good.

I brushed them with apple juice, then seasoned them with rib rub, letting them sit for several hours before grilling on my Weber. I grilled them over indirect charcoal heat with plenty of hickory smoke for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours -- until they were browned and still juicy. I then put them into a crock pot with sauce on low heat for 4 to 5 hours, until tender.

Next, I put them back on the Weber over (burned down) coals to glaze, using the crock pot sauce to baste with. While the steaks had excellent flavor and were very tender, I wasn't completely satisfied. Two things to note for next time:

1) The crock pot sauce became very thin - probably due to moisture and fat from the steaks. While it's tasty, it doesn't make a very good baste if you want a thick glaze.
2) The burned down coals don't work as good as fresh ones for glazing (I thought they would because I didn't want a lot of heat). Next time, I will use fresh sauce and coals to finish the meal, maybe indirectly.

All in all, a good experiment and am getting closer...

Nimmy in St. Louie