Skip to main content

Reply to "Pork Steaks"

Here is a post from a cook in the St. Louis area that many of our members know.

They had a good thread.

Here is how I cook my pork steaks........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ FAQ ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by JDB on September 09, 2003 at 13:01:51:

In Reply to: Re: Maull's and pork steaks........Now we see eye to e posted by Q.N.E. tyme on September 09, 2003 at 12:15:49:

Yo Dylan, I marinate my pork steaks with the same recipe I use for rib tips:

2 cups Wishbone Spicy French Dressing
1 cup lemon juice
2 cups apple juice
2 cups cherry cola
1 cup Woeber's Spicy mustard
1/4 cup habenero hot sauce

You can reserve some of the marinade for a baste if you so desire. I don't basted the steaks for the first hour or two of the cooking time.

Due to the acidic content of the marinade, I would not marinate the pork steaks more than eight hours or the meat will turn to mush. Because of the sugar in the marinade, I do not cook the meat directly over the coals or above 250�F. I usually use the kettle for this but the WSM works too. I like to use cherry wood for the smoke flavor.

Depending on the thickness of the steaks, they take anywhere from two to four hours to cook. You won't be able to render all the fat out between the muscle areas like you do a pork shoulder, but quite a bit of the fat will cook out. I consider the steaks done once you can easily separate the muscle areas. Once you can pull two areas of the meat apart, apply the finish sauce of your choice and give the sauce a little time to thicken on meat.

Lager,

JDB