Skip to main content

Reply to "Prime Brisket at Costco"

MaxQ, I don't have a theology of BBQ temperatures. If it's good, it's good.
Having said that, I'm still low and slow plus FTC, and here's why.

I hate worrying and I hate being in a rush. That's when I make stupid mistakes. (You can ask my wife -- she'll give you a list of times.) When you smoke a brisket, it's because a whole bunch of people are coming over for dinner, and you want to make them happy. I don't want to spend a day worrying about whether or not the beef will be done. If I can "normally get them off the smoker in under 8 hours" but this one ends up taking 9 and a half, I get to choose between making people wait, or pulling out 14 pounds of meat that is still so tough that I have to chop it with a cleaver to make sandwiches. Facing two bad choices is not my idea of fun.

It's done when it's done. If I'm having a 6 PM dinner, and I stick my big fat packer brisket in the smoker at 10 the night before, and set the temperature for 225, in a Cookshack the internal temp will hit 200-205 somewhere between 3 and 5. If the temp is hanging around 175 at noon, I may boost up the heat a bit, again, just so I don't have to fret over finishing on time.

With the meat smoked and tucked in the cooler (typically around 4), I've still got time to help my wife with the rest of the prep for the party. Big jobs, like making sure we have enough beer, or driving over to the market for more ice. Because at this point, the brisket is no worries.

Hot and fast works for Franklin, because he's putting a couple of dozen packers in the smoker and starts by serving the one that's done first. Me, I've just got one in there, and I want to be peacefully assured that dinner will be ready at dinner time.