Skip to main content

Reply to "Prime Rib 101 -- the draft"

On some other post, to keep Oklahoma from burning away, I read where a to be unnamed chef cooked a prime rib in his crockpot for Christmas. He claimed it was excellent.

From what I understand, he dry ages all his good (and especially his cheap) cuts of beef, just like in the top restaurants. This is done in a refrigerator. Modern versions with auto defrost have heat cycles, which will prematurely dry the meat, but the old type, with manual defrost, you can run for at least seven days stark naked on the shelf.

AB on the food network has a plastic type tote with holes drilled to allow some circulation without over drying.

When you are ready to cook, sear the whole roast as best you can on all sides in a cast iron skillet. (You can buy two 12" Lodges at WalMart for the price of one 10" elsewhere. So buy two and give one away for Christmas.) Get it really hot and close the door to the smoke alarm, open the windows and doors and turn on the exhaust fan. Don't use non stick, especially teflon because they can't take the heat and can form toxic gases. You might use a hopped up gas grill if you have one instead, I don't.

Then season it. Dry aged beef needs nothing but good pepper, salt, and garlic. (Everything needs garlic.) Cook it long and slow, sans crock pot, smoke about and hour or one load of wood chucks, to about 135, remove and wrap in foil. Depending how you run your CS I would wrap in foil at 3 hours no matter the internal temp and put it back in until it reaches 135, and then let it rest 15 minutes. That should bring the internal temp to about 140. which is prime rib is at its best.

Try to get the roast with the ribs attached and then debone it and tie it all back together before you dry age and roast it. Sam's and Costco here alreadly sell it without bones, but the bones keep the meat from the drying on the back side, serve as a heat sink in the cooking, and are left over for the chef for that midnight snack, or in case Santa comes back Christmas night to see how good the kids have been with their gifts. A butcher shop wil do the boning gig for you if you buy it at a good market.

Matt's post above is the way to handle those who can't handle prime, prime rib, the same goes for any left overs. Nuking it is a no, no, no! Razzer