Skip to main content

Reply to "Prime Rib help"

quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
Huh? I thought we had a discussion of this awhile back and people here said that 'prime rib' is a popular term and doesn't necessarily mean the grade of beef.

Well, it is the popular term, and it's also false advertising. I'm not going to name them because I don't want to get sued, but there are several national steakhouse chains that label some cuts "prime" on the menu when they are not prime. Whether it is "prime" rib, ribeye, fillet or what have you. In one case the chain serves branded beef approximately "high select/low choice" in quality for most menu items. Items labeled "prime" are of a better quality choice graded beef. They do wet age all their meat for 30 days FWIW.

The Alto-Sham ovens most restaurants use for the prime rib do a really nice job cooking the meat so a choice grade will give decent results, but it still isn't real prime. I'm not sure what the law would say about this though.

What if you opened a gas station called Premium Gas, and you offered a grade of gas, store brand, called Premium, with an octane content equal to most stations regular. Would this be false advertising or just a clever use of language in a popular sense?