Skip to main content

Reply to "Prime Rib help"

I really appreciate all the experienced input. I have another question regarding Fridays cook: How much "rib roast" to buy? I am also serving chicken breast. I'm doing a cheesy potatoe dish and fresh grilled vegetables. They are doing salad, bread, and rather extensive appetizers - shrimp etc.

I will be carving at the end of the food line, with a hot plate and plenty of au jus as recommended. Usually when doing chicken and tri-tip I would plan on about 3 oz. of chicken and 4-5 oz. of tri-tip per person. I just can't picture slicing a 5 oz portion of p.r. off the roast without it looking very thin and stingy. Should I plan on 8, or 12 oz. per person? Or maybe plan on 6 oz. and carve a 1/2 inch thick slice and cut it in half per each? I've just never done the personal serving thing. The attendees are about 50/50 men and women. Again, any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Also, as far as quantity to buy - I am planning on bonless rib roast. was thinking with the amount of meat I may need I will have space considerations, not in my cookshack, but in the regular oven for searing. I will have the potatoe dish out in time to sear at the end, but won't have time for multiple loads. My oven in the trailer is just a 24" imperial.

Jack
Last edited by Former Member