Skip to main content

Reply to "Prime Rib help"

All...below is a cut and paste of my comments on another forum. Talking about the prime ribs. I R lazy:-)

I pulled them at 130°-135° and put in the Cambro where they held for about 1 1/2 hr., then sliced immediately before placing in the chafing dish on the serving line.

They were pretty good, but a little more done than I would have liked. I may have mis-judged the preferences of the guests a bit also. I had more requests for "rare" than I would have thought...and no one asking "can you throw this back on the grill" :-)

Observations & Lessons:

Quit stressing about cooking this cut. Yes...it is an expensive piece of meat, but it is dead easy to cook. These ribeyes averaged about 15 lb. apiece & I was able to get all 4 of them on the FEC-100 smoker at the same time & still have room for 2 whole pork loins that I put on about mid-cook. Set the cooker on 300° & I had two that came off at 5 hrs. and two at 6 hrs. Should have pulled them a little quicker.

If anyone cares, I placed each ribeye in a full sized hotel pan...into which I had thrown a big handful of coarsely chopped carrots, celery and onion. They were generously coated with a Tone's Garlic/Rosemary seasoning.

Should have taken some pics when they came out of the smoker....just busy & forgot. I would do them again...for fun or money:-)

Real time now....Trying to change the color of the text. Either not working or I am doing something wrong (likely).

The gig is over and done & the customer is happy.

The knowledge base here is huge & I sincerely thank everyone for their comments. Next time I promise to pay better attention:-)

Smokin'....Your comment about this cut losing it's color quickly goes to the heart of my biggest lesson here. We carved the whole prime rib in the kitchen and took it directly to the chafing dish on the buffet line. It looked great when carved...10 minutes later, not so much. I will carve on the line from now on.

I pull pork loins between 140°-145°....they were great and went over well.

Off to start another topic on what to do with prime rib left-overs:-)

Thanks to all for the helpful comments........John