Skip to main content

Reply to "Prime Rib overcooked"

i have run into something similar with my sm150. what i think occured to you is the wood caught fire. the same thing had me baffled for awhile as i never really saw any flame just a spike in my remote after opening the door that wouldn't go away. finially worked my nerve up and just thru opened the door and yep got flame and that matched my previous spikes.
based on the time you gave that's my best guess.
don't know if it helped any but i hope it does.
jack
ps. for me the learning curve on the sm150 was a lot tougher than my fec100. but since i have learned it's little nuances i really love my sm an find i am using it more and more to the point that if we can get our own restaurant the 2 sm's we already own will for sure be the workhorses and the fec will be our overage containment device
pps. been a long day please excuses all the ps's. ok did you hit the reset button?? it's all the way at the bottom. if you turn it off you will have to wait about 5 mins since the memory will hold your settings that long-reset will instantly blank that sucker out.
250 setting-for fun put a remote thermo down the exhaust hole. if your's is like mine a 250 setting will spike to about 300f+/-. while my average temps over a cook for brisket or pork will match the panel temp on a long cook that can give you a problem on a short cook.(this explains why my 150 set at 300f will shut down due to temp overrun).
saw the part abut holding at 140 to get extra smoke. next time try this-reverse your order-go 140 for your smoke for xxxx number of time and then kick up but there is an easier way. put your meat in dead cold into a dead cold smoker. reduce your temp 25f and go from there.
Last edited by Former Member