Skip to main content

Reply to "Programming Ameique"

@jay1924 posted:

When I do my loin backs (dry rub only, no basting or sauce), I do 225F and I allow 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours depending on how thick the meat portion is (the "light meat" on the thick end of the rack). I flip and rotate the racks about halfway in, and wait till the small ends of the bones are exposed about 1/2 inch, then test for doneness using the toothpick test. I don't rely on a probe for such thin meat. If necessary, the ribs can sit foiled in a 200F oven for an hour or so without losing quality, IMO.

Your new smoker needs a seasoning time before it will perform to its ability. Most do a medium (maybe 4 - 5 lb) pork butt at 225 for a long smoke to build up the "patina" on the walls and ceiling of the smoker. Don't forget to line the top of the wood box and the bottom of the smoker with foil before each smoke to aid cleanup (and don't forget to punch a hole in the bottom foil over the drain hole).

I think with a little experience with your new smoker you will be very happy. From experience though, sausage will be a challenge in the SM066, if for no other reason than it is so air tight that you may need to open the door occasionally  to vent moisture to get the correct amount of drying on the sausage casings. Just takes some time to figure it out.

I did do an initial season smoke of 6 hours at 275 before doing the ribs for 5+ hours. Even the thinner parts were just barely cooked through. I'll play with the temps some more on my next smoke.