Skip to main content

Reply to "PV530 Meat Probe, Models SM025/045/066"

CS was getting a lot of requests for probes ,even in the smaller models,maybe a decade ago.

We used to have a lot of discussions about where to go buy,and what brands,and where to get replacement probes.

Maybe,15 yrs ago,no one heard of cooking with a wired thermometer and today many cooks still won't consider them.

There were discussions from management and a few of us that had been around the forum since it started.

Yes,CS has always been known for building/supplying the best quality and finest cookers/ cooking equipment out there.

CS finds itself supplying accessories, occasionally,because around the world cooks have a problem finding them.

An example would be that CS isn't in the wood chunks business,but tries to supply them as a service.Sauces and rubs for our international customers and custom cooker covers.

Being an older cook,I was one that spoke against supplying wired therms,or built in probes.
I thought,if CS was selling $10 wired therms and they developed a problem,then the CS quality would be linked to a product CS couldn't control.I suggested that having to charge $200, to cost out a dependable built in therm/probe for a $400 cooker, didn't seem like good business.

I could see the use in a restaurant setting ,for overnight,untended cookers with large quantities of product,but surely not on a home cooker containing a 5 to 10 lb. load.

Once again,CS sought to meet the customer requests for convenience with the best possible accessory at the best possible price.I guess I can understand the customer that desires the convenience of probe cooking and that certainly it should be dependable.

Yes,I have a Smokette without a probe therm and several larger CS models in the traditional wood and pellet models for comps/caters that have the capability to add them.Maybe, someday I'll add one,but for now I'm still using my $10 Taylor wired therm and my Thermapens.

Well,I'll get off of here before someone accuses me of makin' a Smokin'Okie post. Wink