Skip to main content

Reply to "quality of BBQ on cookshack vs traditional log burning offset?"

And from the other side of the soap box....I have been cooking for 14 years on my hand-built trailer smoker (not an offset, cuz the offset design seems incorrect to me) with incredible results. Yup, I have to feed it every hour or so and that part is less than fantastic.

Bought an FEC-100 pellet burner about 8 months ago and still haven't produced as good a product as the stick burner. Everyone speaks of consistency and ease of use...I agree 100% with that! However, my results have been consistently disappointing. Have read thousands of threads and talked with Fast Eddy himself several times with still disappointing results. Finally had to pull my ole trailer out of the weeds and fire her up for some good Que.

Recommended an SM160 for a good friend with a diner. Am looking forward to playing with her rig to try a different CS with possibly better results. Am a little concerned about the moister cooking though.

I think CS has a fantastic product and the best customer service in the industry. I am currently displeased with my FEC-100 purchase but am determined to make it work to my liking. I think the electric version would be better for me since I like the heavier smoke. But I also love the thick, crisp bark I get from the log burner. If only I could have my 'Que and eat it, too!

As for everyone else...let's up some of those tips so I can retire the log burner and not have a $3000 stainless steel planter on my patio.