Skip to main content

Reply to "Reports for the Holiday Smoke"

We did a 50day Smokin' Wet Aged Prime Rib. Sorry, no photos (Imagine being a LITTLE busy for the Holidays, they wouldn't let me take photos... DAD, let's eat, not take pictures).

100% said it was the best ever. That was great because my son helped the whole thing.

Basic PR101 Prime Rib with one exception. I don't know if it was the 50 day aging or the added step. Yup, we ran a new test on a $150, 21lb PR. We "salted" the prime rib. 24 hours before the cook we coated it moderately well with kosher salt. Not covered white like snow, just a good solid sprinkling. Then the day of the smoke we washed off the outside of the PR, the coated with Worcestershiershier sauce and Montreal Seasoning. Smoked for 5 hours at 180, finished at 300 for crust for about 30 min. Oh, we cut it in two. At one last night, eating one today, that one, I'll take photos of.

I will try the salt experiment again.

Russ

p.s. Santa brought me all of my kids and grandkids in the house for Christmas the first time EVER that the schedules worked out. Better than BBQ and golf for sure.